Before your child is able to use any School device or Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) the following forms need to be filled in and sent to the school office. Please read these documents carefully. A reminder to all parents that the school takes no responsibility for damage that may occur to a device that is brought to school. Please ensure that all devices come to school with a suitable case.
Ashhurst School BYOD Procedure
5.0 Bring Your Own Device Procedures
Students are allowed to bring a digital device to school to assist their learning. This is not a compulsory requirement and students will not be disadvantaged if you do not send an iPad or similar device to school as we have other technology that your student can access during this time. The goal of BYOD at Ashhurst School is that your child’s learning can be accessed anywhere anytime and their learning will be enhanced. Students can use the digital device to assist their learning.
This device needs to be an Apple product, specifically an ipad in Year 1-6 with Laptops and chromebooks being available to students in Year 7 & 8. Our staff, systems and management is based around the use of Apple technology.
The list of acceptable devices at school does not include iphones, iPods or similar music or android devices whose use remain covered under the existing digital policy. Cell Phones are not permitted for students to use in the classroom and must be handed into the classroom teacher at the beginning of the day.
What can students not do with their digital device at Ashhurst Primary School?
- Attempt to bypass the schools filtering system.
- Access sites with age restrictions based on content or material.
- Use the device without the knowledge of the classroom teacher.
- Personal internet connective devices such as but not limited to cell phones/cell network adapters, t-stick, vodem etc are not permitted to be used to access outside internet sources at any time.
- Devices are not to be used while travelling to and from school on the school bus service.
- Images of other students, staff and employees of Ashhurst Primary School are not to be taken without the expressed permission of the parents/staff member of the individual.
- Children are not permitted to access any social media or alternative apps for communication such as but not limited to SNAPChat
- Responsibility to keep the device secure rests with the individual students. Ashhurst Primary School nor its staff and employees are not liable for any device stolen or damaged at school, or to and from school.
- If a device is lost or damaged it will be handled through the administration office similar to other personal artifacts that are impacted in similar situations.
- It is recommended that protective cases for technology are used to protect items.
- The device is covered by the owners insurance. The school is not held responsible for the loss or damage of the device.
- All safety modes need to be activated
- WIFI use at school is filtered by the school, and N4L, and will track each devices use of the internet.
- The device is used at the discretion of the classroom teacher and with the class teachers knowledge. The school may not be able to support technical issues and/or upgrades or software for the device.
- The equipment is not to be used during break time or lunchtime unless under the direct supervision of the classroom teacher in a learning context.
- No software downloads or updates will be carried out at school on student devices.
- Parents will be required to purchase any apps that are required to be installed through the parents itunes account
- While the device is owned by the parents, it is the schools preference that only educational apps are to be loaded on the iPad for school use.
The school reserves the right to inspect the iPad at anytime. Parent email accounts or any other accounts should be deactivated before the students bring their iPads to school.